MAGISTRATE COURT BUILDING (1907)


BUILDING OF THE DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION WAS BUILT

BUILDING OF THE DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION WAS BUILT

The building of the District Administration (County) was designed by a prominent Serbian architect Petar Popović in 1907 and is located at the main city square. It was built by the construction company of A. Veljković, under the supervision of the engineer Stevan Burmazović. Today it houses Zaječar Magistrate Court.

1907
THE HISTORICAL ARCHIVES MOVED IN

THE HISTORICAL ARCHIVES MOVED IN

From 1967 to 1979 the offices of the Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar were also located in this building, while using as a storage space the former infantry barracks at the end of Ljuba Nešić Street.

1967

PREVIOUSLY DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION (COUNTY)

DISTRICT COURT

1967-79 HISTORICAL ARCHIVES


The building of the Magistrate Court was designed by a prominent Serbian architect Petar Popović in 1907 and is located at the main city square. It was built by the construction company of A. Veljković, under the supervision of the engineer Stevan Burmazović. The building belongs to the cultural heritage of urban architecture and serves a public purpose.

In front of it there was a memorial drinking fountain made in honor of the soldiers lost in bloody wars in 1833, 1876/77 and 1885, and which was removed after the World War II. In the 1990s, as part of the square renovation, the drinking fountain was built again, this time closer to Hotel Serbia. It was relocated again in 2019 at the present location closer to the Magistrate Court building.

In the 19th and early 20th century the main town market, the so-called female market, was located at the main town square, in front of the Magistrate Court.

The building was designed with a symmetrical base and façade, with the main orientation towards the city square. The façade is decorated in the manner of the rich eclectic Renaissance style, while the inside spaces have nice functional arrangement.

As a monumental city public building, representative of the early 20th century architectural style, the building also has a great significance for the urban development of Zaječar, hence it is was placed under the state protection.

From 1967 to 1979 the offices of the the Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar were also located in this building, while using as a storage space the former infantry barracks at the end of Ljuba Nešić Street.

SOURCES:

Archive of Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments Niš (www.zzsknis.rs)

Suzana Antić, Jelena Ilić, Nina Pogarčić: Zaječar čudesna priča – Iz života u Zaječaru 1466-2006. godine. Narodni muzej, Zaječar, 2013.

The official webpage of the Magistrate Court: www.osudzajecar.rs


Postcard from the early 20th century. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The image of the city market in the early 20th century. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

Areal view of the Magistrate Court from the early 20th century. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The 1910 image of the main city square. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

One of the earliest photos of the Magistrate Court building. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The photo of the main city square before World War II. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The employees of the Court before World War II. Photo by Milan Lalović. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The employees of the Court before World War II. Photo by Milan Lalović. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

The previous location of the bust of the national hero Ljuba Nešić next to the main Court entrance. The Historical Archives "Timok Region" Zaječar

Support the renovation and revitalization of public spaces in Zajecar! Donate to the Fund "Obnova"

DONATE
Podelite:

More interesting locations


Ekonomska škola

SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND TRADE BUILDING (1959)

The School of Economics and Trade was founded in 1946 following the tradition of the former Trade Ac...

BUILDING BEFORE WWII

YOUTH CENTRE BUILDING (1920)

It was built in 1920s by the merchant Petar Nikolić – Kikirez and the upper floor was used as family...

National Museum 01

NATIONAL MUSEUM ZAJEČAR BUILDING (1927)

The National Museum building was built in 1927 as a home to the military institute for road design.

Scena bar 01

NACIONAL - ZELENGORA - SCENA BAR (1893)

"Scena Bar" continues a long tradition of catering where, since 1893, the inn "Nacional" used to be,...